My blog will be moving to my new site soon! You can find it at akmorgen.com/blog

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Interview with Vanna Smythe, author of "Decision Maker"


Hello, lovelies!

I have a treat for you today! The lovely Vanna Smythe has stopped by to celebrate her new release, Decision Maker (Anniversary of the Veil, Book Two) with us. I have to confess that I've not yet read the series thanks to that pesky thing called "real life responsibilities", but after reading up on the series, I had to add it to my TBR list.

Decision Maker (Anniversary of the Veil, Book Two) is the second volume in the Anniversary of the Veil fantasy series. It concludes the story started in Protector(Anniversary of the Veil, Book One), but can also be considered a standalone book that you can read at any time. Though it is enhanced by both Book One and the upcoming Book Three.

Kae, a warrior Protector, has followed Princess Issa across the Veil separating two worlds. They were told Issa will be a key player at the Anniversary of the Veil, but have been mislead! Kae will have to make a terrible choice when the Anniversary finally comes. He is the Decision Maker and will have to play a part in a ceremony that will join Issa's Life Force with her Other Half - but in so doing, it could leave her senseless or worse, dead.

As the King fights to find his daughter, as the Priesthood is falling apart; Kae has to decide if he will kidnap the Princess to stop her Joining and force her into a life of unhappiness, or if he will allow her to Join and thereby leave her a mere shell of herself. Meanwhile friends and foes alike are showing only half-truths to both Kae and Issa. They must make the most important decision of a lifetime without enough knowledge. How can they know it will be the right one?

Alternate worlds, warriors, subterfuge, and life changing decisions?! Yes, please! Let's see what Vanna has to share with us today, and then I'll give you all the nitty gritty details so you can add the Veil series to your TBR list, too.

Vanna Smythe is on a quest to become a (bestselling) fantasy author. Right now, it promises to be a dangerous quest, full of questionable, powerful magnates, laced with pitfalls of obligation, and dreams. So it is good that she does not mean to quest thus alone. To keep her company along the way, she has enlisted the help of an incredible cast of characters. For the moment, they are a confident boy who must learn many things anew, a girl who would like nothing more than to live in endless summer, four who wish things were different, and one who will do all to keep things the same.

Q: Please tell us about yourself in fifty words or less.

I’m an aspiring fantasy writer by night, and a journalist and copywriter by night.

Q: What can readers expect from Decision Maker (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 2)?


A lot more action and adventure than in Protector (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 1) and an ending that might surprise some ;)

Q: What is the most nerve wracking part of a new release for you?

The eBook formatting followed closely by the marketing. But the formatting really drives me crazy.

Q: What's been the single most empowering piece of advice you've gotten when it comes to writing?


Don’t strive for absolute perfection, but always do your best.

Q: What's been your most challenging writing moment to date?

The final revision is always the most trying for me. Getting the story written comes quite easily for me, but polishing it up is harder.

Q: What's the worst thing you've ever written? The best?

That’s a tough one. I guess the first draft of Protector was the worst. While I consider the final version of Decision Maker my best work.

Q: What's been the most difficult part of writing the Anniversary of the Veil series?

Learning how to revise effectively. Revision doesn’t come naturally for me and I’ve worked very hard to learn to.

Q: What draws you to fantasy as a reader? As a writer?

Both reasons are the same, I love immersing myself in new, strange and exciting fantasy worlds. I love history, but also magic, and I think fantasy offers the best of both.

Q: What does a perfect day entail for you?

That depends. When I’m writing it’s all about getting a scene perfectly down on paper. When I’m relaxing, I like to take long walks, read a good book or watch a good movie.

Q: In high school you were most likely to ….

Hang out with my friends until all hours ;)

Q: You're stuck on an island... what 3 books would you kill to have with you?

Something by Agatha Christy, Huckleberry Finn, and Harry Potter.

Q: Do you share any traits or characteristics with Issa? Sure, though perhaps not as many as some of my other characters. Issa is a dreamer, just like me, but she also knows what she wants and is not afraid to go out and grab it.

Q: Where else can we find you?

Website: www.vannasmythe.com
 
 
* * * 

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit with us today, Vanna. I'm looking forward to catching up on the series.

And I know the rest of you are looking forward to it, too. You can grab a copy of Decision Maker at: Amazon US | UK | Smashwords. You can also purchase Protector (Book 1) at: Amazon US | UK | B&N | Book Depository.
 


xoxo,
Ayden
 

Fade - The Ragnarok Prophesies: Book One - On Sale at: Amazon US | UK | DE | FR | IT | ES | Barnes and Noble | Kobo

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again for having me, Ayden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview . . . I'll be sure to follow Vanna everywhere:-)

    ReplyDelete