My blog will be moving to my new site soon! You can find it at akmorgen.com/blog

Friday, October 10, 2014

The BKMS Literacy Night Experience

A little over a month ago, my mom called on behalf of my 7th grade Language Arts teacher to ask if I'd be willing to visit my former Middle School for their annual Literacy Night Event. I'd never done one before, but it sounded like a lot of fun. I got in touch with Mr. B and we set it up.

Mr. B has always been one of the teachers I remember the most. He kept this bookshelf in his classroom, and allowed us to pick books to read. In fact... most of what I remember from his class was the reading, writing, and research. He was very encouraging, and never told us we couldn't read. I loved that we didn't spend every single class period dissecting sentences. When I transferred schools in the 8th grade, and we spent the majority of our time doing those sentence dissections, I seriously missed his class. All the way through high school, as a matter of fact.

On Tuesday, Losh bugged me all day about whether or not he could be my assistant. Of course I didn't tell him no. So we all loaded up and headed to the school for the event.

It was so much fun!

They set me up in a classroom, and students and their parents trickled though to ask me questions, and get my autograph. I met so many amazing kids and their parents, answered a ton of questions about reading and writing, signed about a million bookmarks, and sold all but two of the books I arrived with. I was so impressed with the students and the projects they put together for their parents. I took Losh and Kai around and we looked at all of them. Well done, BKMS!

My sister took a ton of pictures, but sadly, I tried to install Adobe on my phone when I got home to read an ARC and it wiped my SD card. I lost pretty much everything. Nooooooo! Luckily, sis snapped a few pictures with her camera, and took a little bit of video as well, so I do have those to remember the event. Since I do not have permission to post photos of the students (and I don't want to presume to make that decision for a parent), I'm only going to share the video here.




When I woke Wednesday morning, a former classmate messaged me to ask if I'd seen Mr. B's status update about me. I hadn't so she took screen grabs and sent them to me. Reading this made my day.





It was a phenomenal experience, and I am so glad I was able to take part and encourage the kids to keep reading, keep writing, and keep chasing their dreams. You're never too young (or too old!) to go after what you want.

Have you seen the cover for All Falls Down, my first adult contemporary romance, yet? You can check it out and pre-order a copy here.

xoxo,

FALLThe Ragnarök Prophesies: Book Two is now available at Amazon Barnes and Noble | KOBO. FADE - The Ragnarök Prophesies: Book Two is available at: Amazon US | UK | DE | FR | IT | ES | Barnes and Noble | Kobo | Books-a-Million.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive