My blog will be moving to my new site soon! You can find it at akmorgen.com/blog

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Commas and Omitted Words

Happy Writer Wednesday!


Commas can be complex. We're taught these simple little rules in school...and then we get into writing and realize that those simple little rules just don't cover everything the comma encompasses. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be sharing some tips to help you remember when you need a comma and when you can skip it.

When you're omitting a word from a compound sentence, use a comma to show that a repeated word was left out of the second clause.

You don't have to use a comma in a sentence when you're omitting the word that. This is where I struggle! I often think I need a comma to denote the missing word (as above), and then have to go through every manuscript with a fine-tooth comb to figure out where I did that. Fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment