My blog will be moving to my new site soon! You can find it at akmorgen.com/blog

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Teaser Tuesday: FADE Excerpt

Happy Teaser Tuesday!

Since FADE releases tomorrow (AHHH!), I thought I'd share another quick teaser from the book with you guys today! One of my favorite things about this series is the bond between Arionna and her dad, Alex. When things get messy, he's always right there to lend a hand, an ear, or a hug to Ari, Dace, and their ragtag band of apocalypse-fighting heroes.




"So, how'd you and Dace meet?"

Dad starting a sentence with "so" never boded well.

I took a sip of water before answering. "Um, in the woods. One of the girls I met on Thursday suggested I go through the park to the Inn. I ran into him out there."

Now that I thought about it, something about the entire situation didn't sit just right. Chelle had gone all cryptic over Dace, sent me off on a shortcut, and there he'd mysteriously appeared.
Coincidence? Given the weird vibe I'd gotten from her, I rather doubted it.

"Oh." Dad ate quietly for another few minutes.

"Was he a student of yours?" I asked, trying my best to sound only mildly curious. I think I succeeded.

He could probably hear my heart racing though.

"Sort of." Dad sat down his fork before picking up his glass. "He was in my Mythology 101 class four years ago. I think he taught me more than I taught him."

"Really?" That sounded interesting.

"Mmhmm." He took a long drink of his tea, his brow furrowing again. "He's like a walking encyclopedia of myths, legends, and the supernatural. There is nothing he doesn't know about each of the three, so far as I can tell. It's quite fascinating."

Fascinating, indeed. Although not very surprising. At this point, I didn't think I could learn anything about Dace that would truly surprise me. He felt way too familiar. And secrets? The boy had those in droves.

Where was my sense of self-preservation?

"So, how well do you know him?"

"Me?" I blinked at the question. "Not well. We talked for a while Thursday, and he helped me get home tonight. He seems like a nice enough guy." Okay, so I was going to Hell for stretching the truth as far as it would go, but telling my dad that Dace had kissed me senseless in the middle of the woods, and I wanted to do it again sooner rather than later? Probably not a good idea.

I doubted telling him Dace could talk to me in my head would go over any better. I'd end up in a straightjacket, swallowing little cups of pills, and sleeping all the live-long day, and I found that possibility less appealing every time I considered it.

We ate in silence for another few minutes and then Dad cleared his throat.

I looked over at him.

"You didn't…notice anything unusual about him?" he asked.

Was he kidding me? Everything about Dace was unusual, and gorgeous, and…. "Unusual?" I asked innocently. "What do you mean?"

"It's…nothing." He picked up his glass. The look on his face gave away the lie, but he might as well have been Fort Knox. I wouldn't be getting anything out of him until he decided to spill on his own.

I considered asking outright if he'd ever heard Dace speaking when he hadn't said anything, but I couldn't do it. I kept envisioning awkward conversations about the effects of grief on mental health, and I wasn't crazy.

Dad took another drink and then said, "Did he mention he's been helping me with a book?"

He most certainly had not.

"No." I frowned. Was Dace intentionally infuriating or did it come naturally?

ABOUT FADE

What do you do when you realize nothing in your life is what you’ve believed it to be?

When Arionna Jacobs loses her mother in a tragic accident, her world is turned upside down. She’s forced to leave her old life behind and move in with her father. Dace Matthews, a teaching assistant at her new college, is torn in two, unable to communicate with the feral wolf caged inside him.

When they meet, everything they thought they knew about life unravels. Dace has intimate access to Arionna’s mind, and something deep within her fights to rise to the surface. They don't understand what's happening to them or why, and they're running out of time to sort out the strange occurrences around them.

Their meeting sets an ancient Norse prophesy of destruction in motion, and what destiny has in store for them is bigger than either could have ever imagined. Unless they learn to trust themselves and one another, they may never resolve the mystery surrounding who they are to one another, and what that means for the world.

Pre-Order FADE from your favorite retailer via the links below!



No comments:

Post a Comment