My blog will be moving to my new site soon! You can find it at akmorgen.com/blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Teaser Tuesday: Stricken (The War Scrolls: Book One)

Hello, loves!

I hope December is going fabulously for all of you. There are a lot of exciting changes occurring in my life right now... some of which I hope to share with all of you in the coming days. For now, I hope you'll be content with a teaser. It is from Stricken. And naturally, it hasn't been edited.

One corner of the photograph was blackened. Was this all that remained of her past then? One charred photograph and painful memories?

Sympathy for her welled again.

"Satisfied?" Anya demanded from behind him.

Kaeden turned reluctantly to face her. "You'll be safe here for now."

"Good." Anya bent to set the kitten on his feet and then straightened. "You can go now."

"No I can't."

Her mouth fell open.

"I can't just leave you here alone."

"I'm not a child," she snapped, crossing her arms over her chest. Her eyes narrowed on him, the lovely green color darkening. "I don't need a babysitter. Especially not one I don't like."

Her hostile honesty irritated him. He'd been a jerk when she came barreling into the house last night and again in the elevator moments ago, he knew that, but he was trying to make amends now. The least she could do is acknowledge his attempt to help her, or pretend to be civil. He'd settle for false civility.

"I don't like you either, sweetheart," he said, leaning back against the wall, "and I don't really care how old you are, but you're no use to me if you're dead. I'm not leaving until I know you aren't going to be killed as soon as I pull out of the parking lot."

"There's no one here!"

"Oh? You can sense werewolves and trolls now?"

Anya rolled her eyes at his sarcastic question. "I don't want you here."

"And I want the Senators to win the Stanley Cup, but it looks like we're both out of luck, doesn't it, sweetheart?"

Anya blinked as if surprised and then narrowed her eyes again. "Don't call me that."

"Does it bother you, sweetheart?"
 
            She flinched. "My dad called me sweetheart, asshole."

Ouch! It looks like Kaeden is digging his own grave right now. Silly boy. I completely sympathize with him on the hockey front though. I wouldn't mind the Senators winning the Stanley Cup. If, you know, this god forsaken lockout would end already! I desperately miss my games.

For those who've asked: My grandmother started chemotherapy last week. She had a rough weekend, but has otherwise been doing amazing. She's at home now, and will start the next round of chemo after the New Year. Thank you for checking on her, and for all of the thoughts and prayers you have been sending her way. They are much appreciated by all of us.

Losh is also doing absolutely wonderful. He's been off the ventilator for six weeks now (yay!) and has breezed through it. So long as he has no setbacks this winter, his doctors plan to cap his trach this spring, and then remove it entirely this summer. We cannot even begin to tell you how exciting this news has been. We're cautiously optimistic that things will proceed as planned and our little superhero will celebrate his 8th birthday by getting his trach out. Thanks as always for asking after him. Your emails and tweets make him feel like a rockstar. :)

xoxo,
Ayden



Fade - The Ragnarok Prophesies: Book One - On Sale at: Amazon US | UK | DE | FR | IT | ES | Barnes and Noble | Kobo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive