My blog will be moving to my new site soon! You can find it at akmorgen.com/blog

Monday, September 16, 2019

Fight for You: Excerpt #secondchance #romance

Happy Friday, lovelies!

I wanted to pop in and share the print wrap for Fight for You! I am so incredibly excited about this book, you have no idea! You can check out the print wrap, teasers, and an exclusive excerpt below. 




EXCERPT


My eyes land on January and I draw to a stop. She's got her head bent as she whispers back and forth with another girl her age, Mariah something or another. I don't remember her last name. She's with January a lot, but I never pay attention to anyone but my girl.

They're not paying attention, so I hang back and watch January for a minute. She's beautiful. Most girls go through an awkward phase, but she never did. She went from a cute little kid to a stunning young woman with hair like silk and the brightest emerald eyes I've ever seen. Her skin is golden from all the time she spends outside. She's still tiny, barely even five feet. I know she hopes she's not finished growing yet, but I kind of hope she stays like she is. She's perfect. I'm big enough to engulf her little frame. I love how she feels in my arms when she gets excited about something and hugs me.

"Yo, January," someone calls to her.

She and Mariah lift their heads at the same time as a boy I've never met starts moving toward her. He's got his backpack slung over one shoulder and a pick standing up in his hair. He's tall and lanky, maybe a year younger than I am. I don't like the way he leers at January with a cocky smirk on his face.

Mariah tugs on her sleeve and giggles as he approaches.

"Hi, Cody." January gives him a shy smile that makes my hands clench into tight fists.

"Hey, gorgeous." Cody stops in front of her and leans down, getting in her personal space. He rests an arm on the lockers above her head, which pulls his shirt up in the back, showing his boxers where his pants sag.

I grit my teeth and start in their direction, pissed he's flirting with her and she's letting him. Maybe she's too young for me, but she's also too young for him. She's only thirteen. She doesn't need to be thinking about boys or any of that bullshit.

"Some of us are going to the dance together tomorrow and then to get pizza after. You wanna come?" Cody asks her.

"Um…I'm not sure," January whispers, and I'm not sure if she's hesitating because she wants to go with him or because she doesn't want to go and is just trying to be nice.

Fuck. Does she want to go with him?

"What do you say, babe? Want to go with me?"

"January!" I bark before she can answer him.

She jerks backward, almost falling over. Her head whips in my direction and her eyes get wide. Mariah whispers something to her before darting off in the opposite direction.

I stomp toward her and Cody, annoyed that he hasn't taken the hint and moved along.

"Hi, Cade," she whispers when I step up beside her and glare at Cody.

He frowns at me and draws himself up to his full height. He's tall, but I'm already six-two. I lift weights and run track. He's not even a match for me, but he's too stupid to get the point. Guess he doesn't know who I am yet. He will soon. I'll make sure of that.

"You ready to go, baby girl?" I ask her, holding his gaze as I step closer to her and sling my arm over her shoulder, making it clear that she's off limits.

Cody's eyes narrow on me, but he doesn't say anything.

"I…yeah, I'm ready." January glances between the two of us and frowns like she's only just noticing the tension rippling through the air between us. "Bye, Cody."

"See you later, January," he mutters and then turns and storms off.

I drop my arm from around her and stomp away, still pissed off even though I don't have any right to be. She isn't mine. She's never been mine. I wish she was though.

When we were younger, it was different. I didn't understand what I felt toward her. I thought I just wanted to keep her safe, especially after that crazy guy attacked her in the park. But it's not like that now. I mean, I still want to keep her safe and take care of her. But she's also the only girl I've ever thought about kissing.

"Cade?" she says from behind me, her voice worried. "Can you slow down a little?"

Shit. She's practically running to keep up with me. I slow down immediately and give her a chance to catch up. Her bag bounces on her back as we walk. I take it from her and slide it onto my shoulder with mine like I usually do. She doesn't say anything as we weave our way out of the building and then through the parking lot to the sidewalk. I think she's mad at me.

"Do you want to go to the dance with him?" I blurt out as we turn in the direction of our block. Like it, this part of the neighborhood is run down and depressing. The sidewalks and road are cracked and pitted. Most of the houses are falling apart.

January shrugs a shoulder and tilts her head down so her long hair hides her face. "I don't know," she whispers.

"Do you like him?"

She shrugs again, stepping around a large crack in the cement at her feet. "He's the only one who asked me to go. It was nice of him."

Well…shit. She used to get picked on a lot because she's so tiny. Most people leave her alone now, but thanks to Mandy and some of the older girls, she doesn't have many friends. Mandy's a jealous bitch. She hates that I've never paid her any attention and always preferred to hang out with January, so she makes life as miserable for my girl as she can. I hate that January doesn't have many friends because of it, but I still don't want her going anywhere with Cody.

"You shouldn't go with him," I say before I can stop myself. "You're too young to be thinking about boys and dating and all that shit. You're still just a kid."

She stops walking and gapes at me. Her eyes narrow on me and her cheeks flush pink.

Crap. She's really mad at me.

Her mouth opens and then closes a few times. I expect her to yell at me like she does at Titan. They love each other like crazy, but they fight like cats and dogs sometimes too. He usually gives her whatever she wants, but every once in a while, he puts up a fight. She's like a little soldier marching bravely into battle when he gets her wound up. She stomps her feet and growls at him. It's cute as hell. I'm pretty sure he only does it because he thinks it's funny to watch, but I'd never dare tell her that.

I expect her to let me have it like she does him, but she doesn't. She stares at me for a second and then she shakes her head like she's disappointed in me and mutters something under her breath before stomping away. I'm pretty sure she just called me the most clueless boy on the planet, but I don't know what she's talking about.

I stare after her for a second, not sure what to make of her reaction, and then I have to jog to catch up with her. She may have short legs, but she moves fast when she's pissed.

"January, wait." I grab her arm when she ignores me.

She stops walking and spins to face me. Tears shimmer in her eyes, stealing my breath.

I made her cry.

I instantly feel like the biggest asshole. I hate when she cries. Seeing tears in her eyes breaks my heart every damn time.

"I'm sorry, bab–"

She leans up on her tiptoes and presses her lips to mine, silencing me.

Her lips are so soft and taste like peppermint and sugary candy. I like the way they feel on mine. I like the way her breath blows sweetly across my face too. Her little body nestles into mine. I've thought about kissing her a thousand times, but this is so much better than I thought it would be.

Something settles deep in my chest, clicking into place. This feels right…like it's supposed to happen. I'm not sure what that means, but she smells like vanilla and sugar. I want to kiss her all day long.

As soon as the thought strikes, she gasps into my mouth and then jumps backwards. Her eyes go wide in obvious distress. "I'm so sorry!" she cries, then she spins around and runs from me.



Fight for You releases on October 15, 2019.

PRE-ORDER AT YOUR FAVORITE RETAILER:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive