My blog will be moving to my new site soon! You can find it at akmorgen.com/blog

Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Biggest Fan's 22nd Surgery and How #Fade Made it the Operating Room

It has been a very long day here. We had to be at the hospital bright and early this morning for my biggest fan Aloshua's 22nd surgery. Yes, you read that right. I said 22nd. But let's skip back to last night really quickly.

Mama Ayden, the Keeper of the Cheerios, Losh, and his brother and sister (Kai and Little Princess) came and stayed with me and the husband so they didn't have to get up at 4am to make it the hospital for surgery this morning. My mom brought in a stack of books for me to sign, and the kids were so excited to get my autograph. They squealed and squee'd and were absolutely giddy because I autographed a copy of my book for them.

Once I finished signing, Losh grabbed the book and demanded I start reading. We read through the first three chapters before we convinced him to go to bed. The first thing he asked for this morning was for me to read his book to him again. Same thing when we got checked in for surgery. We read in the waiting room.

Reading FADE before surgery
He took his book to pre-op with him, and while waiting for his surgeon to come in and see him, he said, "Uhhh, mama? Can you weed my fave-wit book?" So, his mama read to him some more.

When the surgery team came to take him to the operating room, he asked to take the book to surgery with him. Normally, they don't let the kids take anything into the OR, but Aloshua's big eyes and hopeful smile are so hard to resist. His surgeon agreed to let him take it with him, and when he woke in recovery, Fade was the first thing he reached for.

Recovering from surgery

When I kissed him goodbye in the car on his way home this afternoon, he had the book clutched in his hands.

I wanted to cry. After everything he's been through, all of the surgeries and hospitalizations and near misses and almost losses, it's such an amazing thing to realize how much something as simple as an autograph in a book means to him.

This is why I call him my little superhero. In seven years, I think he's taught the people in his life more about living than we learned in all the years before him. No matter what obstacles stand in his way, he finds a way around them with such innocence and grace.

All smiles at his sleep study last week

He rarely has a bad day, and it's always the little things that make him happy. A bowl of oatmeal in the morning. Mickey Mouse on TV. Playing games with his grandpa. Showing my husband magic tricks. Or getting my autograph. Every day is an adventure for him, and he makes those small things so much more for everyone in his life. He makes those moments powerful, beautiful, and unforgettable.

He came through surgery with flying colors today, and we got fabulous news. It looks like our little superhero is ready for the next phase of his amazing journey. No more airway reconstruction surgery will be needed! Soon, he'll get to come off of his ventilator full time. And by this time next year, his doctors are hopeful he'll have his trach taken out, too. While Aloshua celebrated getting my autograph today, we celebrated this amazing news.

Holding onto his book after surgery
It's humbling to realize that someone as amazing as Aloshua views you as a superhero, too. It's more than a little strange, too. All I did was write a book. He's taught everyone around him how to live. I can't compete with that. I don't want to. But I'm glad that, so far as he's concerned, I'm still in the running. I couldn't be happier to have the love and support of my biggest fan, and I am so grateful for everything he's taught me. I may never be as inspiring a superhero as he is, but he certainly has a way of making me feel ten feet tall and bulletproof.

Now it's your turn to be a superhero for kiddos like him. Fandom for Preemies began on October 1st, and we're raising money for the March of Dimes, one donated story or raffle item at a time. I encourage each and every one of you authors and graphic artists out there to sign up to help us support an organization that fights for children like my nephew. He's not the only little superhero out there, and they could all use your help as they fight their own battles and teach the people in their lives the importance of living with grace and compassion.

You can sign up to write or donate at: http://fandomforpreemies.blogspot.com/p/sign-up.html

Trust me when I say it's worth it.

xoxo,
A Very Grateful Author

 
P.S. Have you submitted your entry for the Perfect Paranormal/Fantasy Pitch Contest yet? Prizes included a read by a Curiosity Quills submission editor, a critique from author Jamie Ayres, a plot session with author C.L. Parker, ebook copies from T.M. Franklin, Krystal Wade, and more! Details at: http://www.akmorgen.com/2012/09/pitch-contest.html

Fade - The Ragnarok Prophesies: Book One - On Sale at: Amazon US | UK | DE | FR | IT | ES | Barnes and Noble | Kobo. 10% of proceeds are being donated to the March of Dimes, and 10% to the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Arkansas.

3 comments:

  1. Well, shoot. I wasn't even there and tears are falling down my face now. Oh, that poor little thing. It's both thrilling and heartrending he'd be so attached to your book. I certainly hope he continues to improve. Sending both of you good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, heart-wrenching story. I'm with Lexa. Tears and all. Aloshua is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a beautiful story. I'm getting a little teary.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive