My blog will be moving to my new site soon! You can find it at akmorgen.com/blog

Sunday, March 11, 2012

What I Know

Blog, blog, blog.

What to write on a blog...

When Ayden first asked if I would write a guest post for her fancy blog, I hesitated. Not that I don't adore Ayden (I do), I'm just not a writer. Not by any stretch of the imagination. I often imagine that an author's brain is just full of flowery words and phrases designed to make lowly readers (me) feel something, want something, or know something. My brain, on the other hand, is full of recipes and strategies on how to keep my four year old from turning my house into rubble.

So why am I writing this blog?

Because, seriously, I adore Ayden. She's a kind of fabulous I can't even put into words. Honestly, she would not have cared if I had said no like I initially planned. However, I imagine her getting those Puss n' Boots eyes and I can't say no, even through the computer screen. I mean really, who could resist?

But I digress. What to blog? One should blog what they know, right?

Here are 10 things I know for sure.

1. Give. Give happily, wholly, and assuredly. I'm not talking about money--give someone a shoulder to cry on, food to eat, a listening ear, a helping hand. Just give.

2. Sometimes you can give something your all, and it's still not enough. And that's okay. In today's "everybody wins" society, I think that concept gets lost along the way. It's the effort, not the outcome, that matters most.

3. "No one is better than you, and you are no better than anyone else." That's a direct quote from my momma, so pay attention to that one.

4. Macaroni and cheese will always taste like home wrapped in a hug. Even bad macaroni and cheese is good eatin'.

5. Men and children do not do well on the 4th hour of a family photo session. I learned this today...the hard way. Memories to last a lifetime, right?

6. Bill Cosby was right. Kids do say the darnedest things. My kid told her preschool teacher that I made Daddy sleep in the snow. (I didn't. I gently pushed him into the snow so that he could make a proper snow angel.)

7. Those automated answering machines (like when you call 411 or something) will never, ever understand my accent.

8. Always make friends with maintenance workers, administrative assistants, and technology personnel. Those are the people who run the world.

9. I really don't know that much.

10. Some of the best secrets deserve to be shared. So here it is. An AK Morgan exclusive post. This recipe has been a well guarded secret in my family for years. Every time my mother, my sister, or I make these rolls, someone asks for the recipe. They've never gotten it. Without further ado, I give to you (with family permission, of course) my family's roll recipe.

Cook together 1 cup water, 1 stick butter, 3/4 cup Crisco, and 2/3 cup sugar until melted. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup of colder water, and let cool completely. When cool, add two well beaten eggs. In a small bowl, dissolve 2 packages of yeast in 1/2 cup of warm water. Combine the mixtures and mix well.

While mixing, add 7 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. After mixing well, rest the dough. Every 30 minutes, knead the dough (or just mix it well). After two hours, refrigerate the dough, allowing it to rest overnight.

The next morning, divide the dough into 5 balls. Roll each ball out into a pie shape. Cut each one as you would a pie, or pizza. Roll into crescents and butter the tops. Allow the rolls to rest for 2 hours. Bake at 425 until the tops are lightly browned.

Thanks for reading! :-)

~Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive