My blog will be moving to my new site soon! You can find it at akmorgen.com/blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Fight for You: Countdown Teaser #2

FOLLOW ALONG THROUGH EVERY DAY OF THE COUNTDOWN FOR TEASERS! LEAVE A COMMENT TO WIN BOOK SWAG AND EBOOKS!


"I heard a rumor," Mariah Dupree announces, plopping her curvy ass down on the corner of my desk.

I peer up at her through bleary eyes and wait for her to fill me in. Mariah's a bit of a drama queen when it comes to gossip, but I love her anyway. She's the only thing that keeps me sane most days. She's been my best friend since the sixth grade. We went to the same college, teach at the same elementary school, and do everything together.

"Michael Kincaid is back in town," she says, watching my face like a hawk. With her black hair up in a demure bun and her glasses perched on her nose, she looks more like a naughty librarian than a kindergarten teacher. Her ebony skin is flawless.

"Oh, that." I slide out of my chair and squeeze past her, busying myself with collecting the worksheets my students left on their desks at the end of the day. Most of them are illegible, but that's okay. School's been in session for two weeks. I don't expect perfection, especially not from a bunch of five-year-olds, most of whom have never even tried to hold a pencil before. Knowing they're trying so hard makes me happy. 

"Oh, that?" Mariah repeats from behind me. "That's all you have to say?"

I shrug a shoulder and continue weaving throughout the room, picking up the worksheets and straightening desks as I go. I'm not sure what else she expects me to say. Okay, that's not true. I know exactly what she wants to hear, but I don't have the mental or emotional energy to invest in this conversation right now. The last two days have been utter hell. I've been out of it, barely holding it together.

"You saw him, didn't you?" she asks.

"He caught some kid trying to break into my house Wednesday night," I mutter.

"Goddammit, January!"

I spin to face her, shocked at how loud she is, only to find her with her hands on her hips and a scowl on her face. In her heels, she's a good six inches taller than I am at five-two. Her button nose is scrunched, her perfectly penciled brows furrowed.

"Why didn't you tell me?" she demands, hurt flashing in her brown eyes.

I shrug.

"Are you okay?"

"He didn't get inside." I place the worksheets on top of the desk beside me and then lean against the wall. Pushing my blonde hair out of my face, I sigh heavily. "Cade stopped him before he got that far."

"Are you okay?" she repeats, and I know she's not asking about the attempted break-in this time. She's asking about Cade. She's the only person in the world who knows our history. When he left me, she was the one who put me back together again.

Am I okay?

"Hell no," I whisper, unable or unwilling to lie to my best friend.

About Fight for You

Some men deserve redemption. Some men are worthy of salvation. He's not one of them.
Ten years ago, former gangbanger turned DEA agent Michael "Cade" Kincaid lost everything that mattered to him. With his life in tatters, he fled Los Angeles, leaving behind January James, the only girl he's ever loved. Now an enemy from his past has it out for January, and it's up to Michael to save her life.
"Just breathe" reads his tattoo. But how do you breathe when you feel like dying?
January James swore she would never forgive Michael Kincaid for what happened ten years ago, but now he's the only thing standing between her and the gang that wants the neighborhood she vowed to defend. With him in her personal space at every turn, keeping her defenses in place isn't so easy. He might not be the same boy he was then, but he still has the power to destroy her.
"Stay strong" reads her tattoo. But how do you stay strong when you feel like breaking?
Reunited by danger, bound together by feelings that just won't die, and desperate for forgiveness they don't believe they deserve, Michael and January will risk their lives to break free of the past. To build a future, they'll both risk the only thing that really matters: their hearts.
WARNING: Fight for You is an angsty and emotional friends-to-lovers, second chance romance and is not suitable for all readers. It is the first book in a series of interconnected full-length standalone novels featuring law enforcement officers willing to do whatever it takes to protect the women who need them most. Each book has no cheating, and a guaranteed HEA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive